Skip to main content

Rates vs. Price

Most real estate agents have experienced the frustration of seeing a buyer miss out on a home they loved because the buyer tried to negotiate $5,000 or $10,000 too much off of the price of a home. Of course, price is important, and no one will negotiate on your behalf harder than I when it comes time to buying a home in the Orlando area. But I also want you to know how significant the rate you pay on your mortgage has on your bottom line. It can demonstrate why rates are as important as price when buying a home.

Let's say, for example, you offer $190,000 for a home listed for $200,000. and your offer is accepted. Congratulations, you just saved $10,000.

Let's say you are able to get a $190,000 mortgage at a rate of 4.25% for 30 years. Your monthly payments would be about $935. Over the 30 years of that loan, you would pay back a total of $336,600. Now, if you could get the same loan at just .5% less at 3.75%, monthly payments would be about $880 per month. While that $55 difference per month may not seem like much, your total payments over the life of the loan would be $316,800. That is almost a $20,000 savings! That's worth celebrating!

The point is, if you want to get the best total “deal” on a Central Florida home, you need to shop around for your best mortgage rate as seriously as you look for a home. You also need a real estate agent who will work at helping you through every step of the home buying process.

In our next blog, we'll discuss why getting approved for a mortgage before house shopping can not only keep you within budget, but can save you even more of your hard-earned money.

Have a topic idea? Be sure to let me know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preparing to Buy a Home

In my initial blog post I mentioned how much I love helping people find the perfect home, especially first-time buyers. Here, I am beginning a series that will take you through the entire home buying process, from where you are today to closing on your home. Even if you are months, or a year away from purchasing a home in Central Florida, there are steps you can take now to better prepare. Here's a look at how you can “get ready to get ready”. Get your credit in order.  Look up your credit score and check it for errors. Focus on making all your payments on time. A credit score of 580 or more can qualify you for a lower rate on a FHA loan . For our US veterans, a VA home loan may be available and most VA lenders will look for a credit score of 620+. A majority of home buyers will receive a conventional home loan and will need a credit score of 750 or higher. Do not make any major investments or purchases.  A lender will look at the bank statements for every applicable acco

Welcome to my Blog!

Hi, my name is Jen McCarty and I am a real estate agent proud to serve home buyers and sellers in the Orlando, Kissimmee and Central Florida real estate market. If you are moving to or within the Central Florida area, I can help you find that perfect home. If you are selling your Orlando area property, I will market it with the sense of urgency you deserve. Either way, my goal is to help you maximize your real estate investment with personal, friendly and professional service. I love what I do and am fortunate to be able to do it here in Central Florida. I am “Flo-Grown”, born and raised in St. Petersburg. I think my passion for real estate and architecture was sparked by a move to the Northeast for several years. The historic homes in New England can be breathtaking. When my husband's work took us to Kentucky, I decided to pursue my real estate license there. However, the Mouse came calling and my husband soon was offered an attractive job in IT for Disney. After moving back

What to Expect After Submitting an Offer

The most exciting, and some would say nerve-wracking period of buying a home is the time immediately following the submission of your offer. This is the period in which having a buyer's agent can be so very valuable. Once you determine the amount of your offer, you and your agent should determine how much time you would like to give the seller to consider whether to accept it or not. Usually, two or three days is sufficient. After you submit your offer, you can expect one of four things to happen. Your offer is accepted as submitted.  This is your best outcome, as the buyer has agreed to sell you the home for the price you offered. Your offer is rejected.  In some cases, especially if the seller views your offer as far too low, they will simply reject the offer. I will discuss offer rejections in my next blog post. Your offer is countered.  The buyer is technically rejecting your offer, but at the same time is countering it with a proposal of their own. This counter off